FAA License Requirements - Instrument Helicopter Flight Instructor (Part 61)
To be eligible for a helicopter flight instructor certificate or rating a person must:
1) Hold either a Commercial Pilot certificate or Airline Transport Pilot certificate with:
a. A Rotorcraft - Helicopter rating
b. There are no minimum hours required specifically for the CFII rating.
2) An existing Rotorcraft-Helicopter Instrument rating is required for a Helicopter Instrument Flight Instructor
3) A person who is applying for an Instrument flight instructor certificate for a rotorcraft category rating with a helicopter?class rating must receive and log flight and ground training from an authorized instructor on the areas of operation listed?below.
a. Technical subject areas;
b. Preflight preparation;
c. Preflight lesson on a maneuver to be performed in flight;
d. Air traffic control clearances and procedures;
e. Flight by reference to instruments;
f. Navigation aids;
g. Instrument approach procedures;
h. Emergency operations; and
i. Postflight procedures
4) Pass a knowledge test (Written Exam) on the Fundamentals of Instruction (FOI) areas unless the applicant:
a. Holds a flight instructor certificate or ground instructor certificate issued by the FAA;
b. Holds a teacher's certificate issued by a State, county, city, or municipality that authorizes the person to teach at?an educational level of the 7th grade or higher; or
c. Is employed as a teacher at an accredited college or university.
5) The Fundamentals of Instruction Knowledge Test, includes:
a. The learning process;
i. Elements of effective teaching;
ii. Student evaluation and testing;
b. Course development;
c. Lesson planning; and
d. Classroom training techniques.
6) Pass a Knowledge Test (Written Exam) on the aeronautical knowledge areas for a Rotorcraft-Helicopter?Instrument Instructor Rating.
7) Pass the required practical test (Also known as the Checkride, which includes a flight and oral portion).